Thursday 17 April 2014

Fire Walking, Sight Seeing and Oh Oil Enemas

Thank you to each of you for your kind words, support and encouragement for my first blog. It means so much to me especially being so far from home and on such a life transforming mission! Feeling so loved, and supported by you and the beautiful nature that surrounds me- loving hearts everywhere!


This fell on my lap whilst reading in the garden a few days ago.

When starting this blog I promised myself I would update this regularly, I'd share the lessons I have learned and would be as honest as possible, however those who know me, know i have a slight tendency to not just bite a little off the apple, but to crunch the entire apple in one go. So the blogs might be fewer than initially anticipated, but I'm learning to chew slowly!

Whilst I anticipated challenges throughout this journey I have had to dig deeper then I ever thought possible. With daily highs and lows, pain and discomfort I am appreciating (or at least trying to) the opportunity to put everything I've learnt over the last 9 years of illness into practice, and to test my positivity abilities!

So here at the Ayurvedic retreat hospital we receive two treatments each day, with each treatment been given by two amazing therapists simultaneously.  Treatments are prescribed by the ayurvedic doctor who is also a MD- always helpful when you have a concoction of conditions which are as long as the ingredients list for your favourite dessert, or anything sugary...currently CRAVING the snickers in my suitcase under my bed and everything chocolate eastery you are all posting on Facebook- satisification through visualisation I will master you!!



So the treatment rooms are OLD, the tables are wooden and cleverly designed to support the variety of treatments offered and for their healing properties.  The rooms are small, heated with gas heaters and dimly lit which is always appreciated by us westerners and our wobbly bits as we wip off our gowns to be tied up in cheese cloth to protect your decency- prudes beware I joke not...it's India, no disposable undies here!

So for the past 12 days my treatments have consisted of a mixture of oil massages, oil baths and oil enemas.  Each of these treatments are completed with medicated oils and clarified butter (ghee) as prescribed by the doctor, dependant on your condition and to balance your dosha.  The treatments detox the body by cleaning and removing toxins from the cells.

Whilst you might all drool at the thought of two treatments a day (apart from the obvious, which of course has to be the best treatment for lupus, bet you can hear my groan from there!) the massages and oil baths can be wonderfully relaxing to freakin painful, however as with everything in life contrasts are essential. But on a transformational note I can already feel the effects working, and not just the positivity!

On Sunday I stood for about three hours in the one place with no back pain (which for me has been impossible since about 2006, as my gig going buddies know only too well) and I am now participating in the 6.30 am yoga class and adoring it. I can even do downward dog with no wrist pain now:) The yoga is physically tough, and you know your ready for it once you've survived the warm up 'trek' to get to the studio (this picture doesnt do it justice). But the teacher has postures I've nearer heard of, so it's great to be learning each day, however child's pose ( which I insist on adding to the morning programme) continues to be my favourite lol, reckon I could sleep in it:)



Sunday is our 'day off' so no treatments, but still 5 doses of medication (vile!!) so on Sunday we went sight seeing to dolphin's nose/point, located high up in the tea plantations. The views where stunning and the monkeys almost adorable, apart from their hissing over their biscuits- clearly they didn't know about our ayurvedic diets!


No views, just a group of us!

Later that day we had the privledge of attending a fire walking festival, it was supposed to be shopping, but everything was closed for the festival.  So we found our way to the fire pit and perched ourselves in the viewing area, which was constructed of wood and twine (important for later).

The experience was amazing, electric energy, boiling heat, such kind caring people and an earth angel!

The fire had been lit at 4.30am and food cooked in GIANT pots and brought to the temple as an offering. The fire walking participants had resided in the temple preparing for this event for 4 months, which in my opinion is pretty impressive, 4 months to conquer the mind and dissolve limitations...warning to all I may stay in India, or at least return in the future!


So the volunteers kept the fires in the pit burning, turning the hot coals and ashes with large tree like sticks.  Shortly before it was time for the procession from the temple to reach the area the fires where dismantled and volumteers carried the giant chard logs in wet cloths to another area.  As you can imagine, no order prevailed with lotsa shouting, and no one appearing to be in charge, however water, bananas and chai was provided for the bystanders :)


So now the pit was ready and everyone began chanting, the energy became even more electrified, the sardineness more as the deity Durga arrived.


After a couple of laps of the pit with the deity the fire walking commenced, sadly the only part we could see was their heads bopping as they ran across and out the other side, but everyone wanted a better view and we became sardines in a compressor (remember the fence, see fence posts in picture above) the fence was becoming increasing unstable and as we tried to leave we could barely turn around until a wonderful man who I have named an earth angel pulled us out of the crowd, slightly rattled, filled with adrenalin we made our way back to the retreat, and relished in the bliss of its calmness!

What a wonderful once in a life time experience, all to be topped off with a Skype call from home:) and my crazy doggie 


As I prepare to commence my major detox I send almost squeaky clean love to you all, and will check in soon. Xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment